Saturday, September 11, 2010

Real Final Self Portrait



I wasn't quite satisfied with my first "final" self portrait, so in my free time I went back and made another copy that was more what my original concept had been. The basic steps that I took to create this version were:

  • When I restarted the project, I set the document to 8 bit, rather than 32 bit color, so the colors and layers did not have to be flattened when I saved as a jpeg.
  • I used a combination of the Magic Wand and the Magnetic Lasso tools to select around the red/purple drawing, so the white background from the scan wasn't part of the layer.
  • I used the Magnetic Lasso tool to select the round red part of my drawing. I then copied that to select the same size and shape around the picture of my face in the ocean.
  • I adjusted the levels, brightness and contrast to make my face stand out more in the picture.
  • I used various text adjustments to make my text interact with the shape of the drawing.
  • I used the Paint Brush tool to draw a looping line to connect all the aspects of the self portrait and to show the order of the text. 
  • I then copied that layer, made it a different color, moved it down a few notches, and erased parts of it to create the highlighting of that looping line.
  • I found a picture of an old, yellowed piece of paper on the Internet and put it as my background, with 50% opacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment